Wednesday, April 22, 2009

CBC – Canadian Accused at U.S. Border of “Stealing American Jobs”

From the CBC article:

<Start>
A B.C. sales representative who markets equestrian products in Canada was barred from crossing the U.S. border to attend a trade show last month by a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer who accused him of trying to steal American jobs.

"He looked at me, and in a yelling voice he said, 'You're friggin' stealing jobs away from American citizens,' and I tried telling him that I wasn't," Joel Borsteinas told CBC News.

"I said, 'Well I don't actually bring the products in. I just write the orders. It's all in Canada,'" said Borsteinas.

"He says, 'Oh you are a consultant then.' I says, 'No — I'm just a salesman. I sell to Canadian stores.' And he says 'Nope, you are a consultant,'" said Borsteinas. "Once again, he says 'You are stealing jobs away from us.'"

Borsteinas said he was then fingerprinted and sent back into Canada. The border officer warned him if he tried to enter the U.S. on business again, he should expect to be prosecuted.
<End>

(Read the entire article here.)

Canadians should be outraged at this. It’s one thing to legitimately question whether the position someone is doing can or should be filled by an American first. It’s entirely another to accuse someone of intentionally stealing jobs away. This is an abuse of power, as is the fear-mongering of threatening prosecution if Mr. Borsteinas ever tried to enter the US on business again.

I may not agree with the outcome of my own recent experiences, but I’m sure glad that the CBP officers I dealt with were professional.

1 comment:

  1. Crossing the border into America is always a twilight zone experience.

    US Waiver Form Canada

    ReplyDelete